Skip to main content

Compliance Complaints


Brigham Young University–Hawaii takes seriously any complaints involving its programs and activities. When a complaint is made to the relevant institutional authorities, BYU–Hawaii will use reasonable efforts to seek prompt and fair resolution of that complaint.

Direct Internal Complaints

If you have a complaint, we encourage you to contact directly the most relevant and lowest-level academic, managerial, or administrative unit or personnel before escalating the issue to other institutional or outside authorities. For example, for student complaints involving coursework, communication with the course instructor is the most direct route to resolving issues. If an issue cannot be resolved directly with an instructor, a student may contact the academic college or department for guidance. Complaints submitted to BYU–Hawaii are resolved, to the extent possible, under the most relevant governing institutional policy.

Compliance Hotline

If your complaint is not resolved through direct internal processes, if you fear retaliation, or if you desire to submit a complaint anonymously, we encourage you to use BYU–Hawaii's EthicsPoint compliance hotline, which is provided by the third party NAVEX Global. The EthicsPoint compliance hotline allows you to report instances of suspected noncompliance with federal, state, or local law, or institutional policy either by telephone or on-line report. To the extent that your hotline complaint is not covered by an existing institutional policy, your complaint will be resolved, to the extent reasonably possible, under BYU–Hawaii's Compliance Hotline Procedures.

Accreditor Complaints

BYU–Hawaii is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (commonly referred to as WASC), an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Any inquiries or complaints about BYU–Hawaii's accreditation by WASC, which are not resolved directly with BYU–Hawaii may be directed to WASC at the following:

WASC Senior College and University Commission
985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100
Alameda, CA 94501
Phone: 510-748-9001 FAX: 510-748-9797

State Approval Entity Complaints

BYU–Hawaii has been authorized to operate in the State of Hawaii and has received a certificate of postsecondary state authorization from the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. If you wish to file a complaint with this state approval agency, the following is the contact information:

Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization Program (HPEAP)
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
335 Merchant Street, Rm. 310
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone: (808)-586-7327

Other Compliance Questions

If you have other questions about compliance at BYU–Hawaii, we encourage you to contact the BYU–Hawaii Office of Compliance & Ethics, using the following contact information:

Brigham Young University–Hawaii
Office of Compliance & Ethics
55-220 Kulanui Street #1926
Laie, Hawaii 96762
Phone: (808) 675-3368